Caney, Kansas is set in a valley surrounded by the Chautauqua Hills on the West, Oklahoma lakes (Copan and Hulah Lake) on the South, and prairie grasses on the North and East. Caney has a population of 1,788. Located within our city are 16 churches of all faiths. We are rich in historical culture and have a strong historical society organization. Caney earned it's name from the numerous wild cane brakes that lined the banks of the Caney River.
Osage Indians frequently camped along the Little Cane River before being moved from their home in Montgomery County to the present Osage County, Oklahoma. Chief Black Dog of the Osage tribe blazed a trail "30 horses wide" along the Kansas-Indian Territory border and set up a camp for the Osage tribe in the Caney vicinity.
Caney began as a settlement in 1869. While many towns in the area were started by railroads or the mining and petroleum industries, Caney began as a trading post for people along the border. It found its first connection with the outside world in 1885 when the Denver, Memphis, and Atlantic Railroad chugged into the community.